Archives for May 2014
The US Air Force Band will be holding a concert at the Air Force Memorial with Music from Stage and Screen with a special D-Day 70th Anniversary Salute at 8 p.m. on Friday, May 30th. The Featured soloist is the winner of teh U.S. Air Force Band’s Young Artist Competition, Euphonium player Joe Broom. There will also be a pre-concert demonstration by the U.S. Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team at 7:40. The Memorial is located at 1 Air Force Memorial Drive in Arlington. Parking is available at
The music program can be viewed here.
Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival
This year’s outdoor film festival’s theme is “Working For the Weekend” and features movies about work. Held every Friday from May 30th to August 15th the shows begin at dusk. Come early and hear music or participate in pre-show games and prizes. Bring a blanket, low chairs and a picnic. Parking is available for $3 at the Atlantic Parking Garage on N. Moore Street next to Continental. For more information, visit the Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival website. Movies are shown rain or shine but may be cancelled in the event of severe weather.
Below is a trailer of the first week’s movie, Office Space.
The complete line up is:
May 30 Office Space
June 6 The Devil Wears Prada
June 13 Horrible Bosses
June 20 Thank You For Smoking
June 27 Two Weeks Notice
July 11 The Internship
July 18 How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days
July 25 Up in the Air
August 1 9 to 5
August 8 Empire Records
August 15 Miss Congeniality
August 22 Anchorman
Neighborhood Day is held annually to celebrate community within Arlington neighborhoods. Typically held the second or third Saturday in May, neighborhoods may host yard sales, festivals, barbecues or other events. .
For 2014, these events include:
- Truck Day at Central Library from 9-11 for residents of the Ballston-Virginia Square neighborhood – the rear parking lot will have fire trucks, police cars, trash trucks, construction vehicles, a commuter bus and more.
- Family Fun Day at Alcova Heights Park; 10 a.m.-2 p.m. -bring a picnic and enjoy games, fitness demos, 1st Tee Golf, YoKids Yoga,
- Fairlington Day at Fairlington Community Center Grounds, 11 a.m. – grilled hot dogs, drinks, an inflatable obstacle course and other children’s activities
- Turtle Trot 5K Race at Lower Bluemont Park (329 N. Manchester St.), 10 a.m. – registration closes 5/16 at 8:59 am
- Nauck Neighborhood Clean-Up – the County will pick up furniture, brush, bikes and other acceptable items from the curb.
Located on a cul-de-sac near two Metro Stations, I66 and I495, this all brick rambler was completely renovated in 2002. Four bedrooms, two full baths. Hardwood floors on main level, living room features wood-burning fireplace and triple picture window, formal dining room, granite counters in kitchen, finished lower level with family room with wet bar, bedroom, bath, spacious laundry room and plenty of storage. McLean/Longfellow/Haycock schools. $670,000. From East Falls Church Metro, take Washington Blvd. West which turns into Westmoreland. Turn right on Thirty Second Street to 6521 on right. From West Falls Church Metro, take Haycock Road to Right on Westmoreland, Left on Thirty Second Street to 6521. Visit the property website here.